How to move a futon safely without breaking
If you have a futon, you will benefit from taking it apart before attempting to move it from room to room, especially if you need to carry it up the stairs.
Attempting to move a futon without taking it apart properly can damage it, cause additional frustration going through doors, or damage the floor or walls.
1. Unzip and remove futon mattress cover. Removing it prevents it from staining or tearing when moving the mattress, especially since many cannot be washed and are limited to spot cleaning. Put it in a large plastic bag.
2. Use an Allen wrench to remove the four arm bolts, two from each side of the futon. The nuts, placed behind the bolts, should also be pulled out along with the pegs that hold the futon pieces tightly together. Place all small components in a small sandwich bag and label it.
3. Separate the two platforms from each other, which forms a large bed when flat. Look in the middle where the two platforms meet and twist for hairpin pins, which you can turn counterclockwise to remove.
4. Place one platform on top of the other with your arms and legs touching. Use masking tape to glue the two platforms. Wrap several sections closely together to prevent the two from separating during movement.
5. Tape the two edges, or stretchers, together away from the covers. Tape them so that the inside faces outward when glued, preventing the outside edges from being scratched during the move.
6. Move the parts bag, sides, platform, and mattress to their new location.